Considering raw food for your cat? Whether you choose to make a complete switch or feed it part-time, it’s important to know the dos and don’ts of storing, handling and transitioning your cat to raw.
- Store raw cat food in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Thaw frozen raw food in the refrigerator before serving.
- Use a scoop to measure each meal, and serve at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate the unused portion, and discard any leftovers.
- Wash hands, utensils and surfaces that come into contact with raw meat.
- Microwave raw cat food.
- Overfeed. Cats often love the taste of raw food, so don’t let them talk you into seconds!
- Leave raw food out for longer than 30 minutes.
- Store it in the freezer for more than 18 months.
Feeding Tiki Cat® Raw™: Lots of Meat. Lots of Options.
Any amount of fresh, raw meat is good for cats. Some cat parents choose to feed raw full-time, while others prefer to serve it more intermittently, as a full meal or a tasty meal topper or treat. It’s a perfect complement to any Tiki Cat® product, from our crunchy baked kibble to high-moisture wet foods.
Transitioning to a Raw-Only Diet
Switching your cat to raw full-time takes time and patience. Just as every cat is different, the journey to raw is different for each cat.
- Establish a feeding schedule of two meals a day, if you haven’t already. Do not allow your cat to graze on dry food. Since raw food cannot be left out, you want to set your cat’s expectation about when they’ll be fed. Plan ahead, and make sure you have enough of your cat’s current food to last the duration of the transition.
- Start by adding a small scoop of Tiki Cat® Raw™ to your cat’s current food, either on top or on the side. Thaw it in the refrigerator first. Then, let it come to room temperature, no longer than 30 minutes, before serving.
- Each day, gradually increase the amount of raw and decrease the amount of old food, until you’re only feeding raw. Transitioning slowly is key to minimizing stomach upset and maximizing your cat’s cooperation.
Have questions about feeding Tiki Cat® Raw™? Call us at 866-821-8562, or reach out via email or Facebook.
Want to give it a try? Find a store near you, call to make sure it’s in stock, and look for it in the freezer!
How long can a container of the raw be safely kept refrigerated before discarding? This would be after the first opening if the container .
Hello, if Tiki RAW™ is opened and properly covered in the refrigerator, the product should remain fresh for 2 to 3 days. This is only a recommendation.