Leaving home doesn’t always mean leaving your pets behind. Here are some helpful hints for taking your pet on your next get-away.
- Practice. Take your pet on a few test drives, and get them used to their crate or carrier before the big day.
- Wear them out! Before taking off, take your dog on a long walk or play with your cat to ensure a quieter trip.
- Buckle up! Unrestrained pets in cars can get hurt and distract the driver. To be safe, use a pet seat belt, carrier or crate.
- On the road? Stop every 2-3 hours for bathroom and exercise breaks.
- Flying? Research airlines’ restrictions for taking pets on planes before booking your flight.
- Don’t forget the food and water! Tiki Cat® and Tiki Dog™ cans and pouches make delicious, perfectly packable meals, or opt for the always-convenient kibble!
- Call ahead to confirm hotels and restaurants are pet-friendly.
- Anxious pet? Bring a favorite toy, blanket, or other comfort item. Or, consider leaving them with a trusted pet sitter or at a “pet resort” where they’d be more comfortable.
It’s also a good idea to ask your veterinarian before taking your pet on a trip. Whether it’s their health or temperament, some pets are simply happier to be left at home.
Have a traveling tip? Email Us